R18+

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: R18+

Post by simmo on Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:52 am

Actually, retailers are currently legally obliged to ask for id when purchasing an MA15+ game or movie ticket.

I don't agree with the argument at all, but technically an R rating on video games will possibly open up more games (ie those that have been banned under the current regime) that idiot parents can buy for their kids.

Everything's been done in a half-assed way with this. There should have been an R classification already, but the moves to add it have been typically inept by government.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bowspearer on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:22 am

As a side note, I just posted the following comment on their site for the article they wrote on the subject. It'll be interesting to see whether it gets deleted:

Having just gotten off the phone to a member of the ACL, I am firmly convinced that the ACL's infinite ignorance on this matter only serves to do more harm than good.

What the ACL simply fails to understand is that the very games which they're referring to as trying to prevent the introduction of are already here and they're simply classified as MA after having sufficient content removed. However you still wind up with something which really is age innappropriate in the MA-15+ age bracket- simply because it ticks all the boxes, contrary to the "liberalisation of classification" claims of the spokesman for the ACL I spoke to over the phone.

You have games such as Fallout 3 where exploding heads were removed making it fit into the MA-15+ category, but at the end of the day, you still wind up with a game which is filled with adult themes and which really should have been a R-18+ game which is simply classified as MA-15+ because it is merely has enough content cut from it to make it just fit into the classification. This is just one example of many games, such as the entire GTA series & COD: MW just to name a few of countless examples already on the market.

The person I spoke to tried to point to other countries where liberalisation of the R-18+ ratings has taken place, however to try and connect that with Australia's situation is like trying to add 1 and 1 together and coming up with 11.

Australia's current predicament is entirely to do with the lack of an R-18+ content rating. The problem with Australia's ratings system is that when you have something which does not meet the standard for RC material, the only place it can go is to MA-15+ with enough changes made to make it just qualify for the rating.

Simple reason suggests that the problem with the current MA-15+ ratings system not working is entirely due to there being a complete lack of scope within the current guidelines for material to be properly classified.

Furthermore, an R-18+ rating actually allows for legal enforcement of age appropriateness of players, as there is no 15+ proof of age photo ID in the country, making the sale of games to those under 15 rather difficult to police.

With an R-18+ rating you then have the ability to force retailers to be required to ask for ID before selling R rated games, while checking said stores for compliance as already happens with alcohol and cigarettes, putting in place similarly harsh penalties for non-compliance.

Furthermore, the claims that people become violent because of video games are as ludicrous as the suggestion that violent movies encourage violence within movies.

Maybe I missed something but I'm fairly certain that when the remake of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" hit the cinemas, that we didn't wind up with a an epidemic of chainsaw wielding homicidal maniacs.

Furthermore, if anything, the escalating violence in Australia has more to do with the drinking culture of Australia which dates right back to the First fleet, when everyone was given copious alcohol rations to keep them supposedly drunk and subjugated.

This isn't coming from a concerned citizen, but someone who has been the victim of the very violence you seem to be in such a moral panic about. For simply asking someone to stop smoking on a train, I had 3 lower teeth snapped off at the base of the tooth socket which caused a 17cm long hairline fracture to the lower jaw and wound up with 2 fractures to the left eye socket. The attack was so vicious that doctors said it was a minor miracle that I wasn't dead or a vegetable.

The cause of the violence was conclusively proven to be alcohol- as it had been when he assaulted Police resulting in weekend detention and an alcohol ban which he was supposed to be on at the time I was attacked, just as it had been with every single other violent assault he'd committed going back from his current age of 35 to his late teens.

The old saying of "guns don't kill people, people kill people" completely holds true for this situation regarding video game classifications.

The ACL have merely made a knee jerk reaction with neither the full facts nor history, and it is the children who are endangered by being exposed to age inappropriate material who truly suffer. Contrary to what you believe, you are not combating the escalating violence in this country, but merely vilifying the same convenient scapegoat which has been used for the past 2 decades to avoid dealing with the real causes of violence, such as bullying, child abuse, alcohol and gangs.

You are not helping the problem, but merely giving it cover to continue to fester, despite how well intentioned you might be.

But I honestly fully expect this comment to be deleted as judging by my being hung up on when the spokesperson I dealt with over the phone could not provide any kind of intelligent counterpoints to what I was saying; I'm inclined to believe that you merely sweep under the carpet what you cannot argue against. I would welcome being proved wrong here though.

EDIT: Seems that my comment has been rejected for publication. Funny about that Wink

Last edited by bowspearer on Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : situation update)

bowspearer
Kickin' it old skool

Number of posts : 242
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://z7.invisionfree.com/Kickin_It_Old_School/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by bowspearer on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:27 am

simmo wrote:Actually, retailers are currently legally obliged to ask for id when purchasing an MA15+ game or movie ticket.

Except that last I checked 15+ photo ID was not available, making it far from as straight-forward as it would be with 18+ ratings where you simply ask for either a proof of age card or driver's license.

simmo wrote:I don't agree with the argument at all, but technically an R rating on video games will possibly open up more games (ie those that have been banned under the current regime) that idiot parents can buy for their kids.

Except that most of said games already hit our shores already, but are shoehorned into MA-15+ ratings. Two examples which come to mind are the way sex scenes are censored in San Andreas and the way headshots were censored in Fallout 3.

Trying to block these types of age inappropriate games with the current ratings system is like trying to bail water out of a boat with a bucket that had a gaping hole in the bottom of it.

bowspearer
Kickin' it old skool

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:39 am

Yeah, not arguing with your second point at all, just pointing out a technicality in the arguments for not having the rating and how ass backwards the policy has been developed.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bowspearer on Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:08 am

I realise that you're not arguing against my point. What I'm saying is that even if you take the "technical" side of things, the point is a flawed one because practically speaking, those same games still hit our shores, just in a shoe-horned form where they just manage to meet the guidelines of the MA-15+ rating classification- but still wind up being a questionable fit.

bowspearer
Kickin' it old skool

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:29 am

Seems there's some motions begining,general agreement to bring this in with the attorneys General, 50 odd games to be moved from m15 to r18 if this goes through and there still will be some games that are refused classification....by the way Mortal Kombat 9 is awesome

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:08 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2