release dates. how do they work (for the wii)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

release dates. how do they work (for the wii)

Post by TheMyth on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:35 am

I have been looking at released and upcoming games and noticed there is no real rule for when games get released overseas and here (time wise)

for example, we will get mario kart around the same time, yet brawl comes out MONTHS later.

whats up with that and all the other release date variations? or is it just a decision coming from those at the top.

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

Number of posts : 935
Trading Status : 33
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: release dates. how do they work (for the wii)

Post by DroothR on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:56 pm

Brawl is a high priority title, so they produce only for Japan and the US to keep supply up to meet demand.

PAL gamers get screwed by this, but we're seen as relatively unimportant.

Mario Kart is a lower priority title, thus they can produce it for all regions simultaneously, and have less risk of supply not meeting demand.

Though other times, PAL versions are delayed due to the translating that needs to be done for all the European localization, and since Australia is a zero-priority region, we have to wait for Europe's multi-translated versions, which we then get.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:24 pm

Does the Wii have a multi-region boot disc like the Gamecube? If it does, then I'd suggest getting one of those as PAL release dates for Nintendo (like the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast) sucks big time.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:36 pm

BoloMusashi wrote:Does the Wii have a multi-region boot disc like the Gamecube? If it does, then I'd suggest getting one of those as PAL release dates for Nintendo (like the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast) sucks big time.
There IS one, but there's always the risk of Nintendo killing it with a firmware update.

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:07 pm

DroothR wrote:There IS one, but there's always the risk of Nintendo killing it with a firmware update.

I think they (Nintendo's big wigs) said they'd do the same with the Gamecube version of Freeloader. Found the following on an Aussie Wii website;

www.mywii.com.au wrote:
We recently reported that Datel had released a Wii Freeloader, which allows gamers to play games from any region. A freeleader brings tears of joy to Australian gamers who will no longer have to either sit back and wait for months for games to land on our shores or modify their console. The only issue on the horizon is the possibility that Nintendo could block out the region bypassing software with a future update.

The company behind the Freeloader Datel have hit back to suggestions that an update would render the software useless saying "we can confirm that on every occasion that the product is used when the disc is inserted in the console that it allows the usage of any imported Wii game discs and disables the console from been able to update its firmware, if the disc is removed after been inserted and reinserted this will again enable the console to update its firmware but still allow the usage of the any imported Wii game discs."

This should mean that there will be no problems in regards to an update blocking out the freeloader, although only time will tell if this is indeed the case.

*sigh* console gaming used to be so much easier. BTW, how does Nintendo deliver their firmware updates?

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by drspleen on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:13 pm

that's the biggest thing keeping me from a wii. i can't be arsed to deal with their draconian region policies.

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

Number of posts : 551
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:38 pm

BoloMusashi wrote:BTW, how does Nintendo deliver their firmware updates?
Voluntary downloads via Wi-Fi.

Nintendo sends a message to your Wii when each is available, then you click update, and it downloads.

If one was so inclined, one could just not download any updates, and you're golden, with permanent Freeloader ability.

But of course you may be unable to access some online features if that were the case.

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:06 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top