Number of posts : 225
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Beware copyright nazis

Post by BoloMusashi on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:29 pm

LOL at the Christian Bale rant letter.
I don't have any issues with garage kit manufacturers that do one off comissions for fans or people that create custom pieces. I do, however, understand why the big corporations want to hand out the lawsuits when people start recasting/duping pieces.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:12 am

Wasn't there also some kinda warning going out for customs on ebay at some stage, because the names of characters were being used or some rubbish?

Sam
Good trader, better whinger

Number of posts : 1231
Trading Status : 1000
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://samscustomz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:35 am

Custom stuff is one thing....this is a complete other story. What an ass. Love that Christian Bailout letter Razz

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:20 am

I've seen some great garage kits over the years, but fact is, if you try to make money on someone elses property and they find out then naturally they are going to order you to cease and desist, especially if you are producing them in any sort of quantity, and if you don't stop after that warning then they are going to sue and/or prosecute your ass, simple as that. And they have every right to in my opinion. No one likes being ripped off, after all.

Plus, DC contacted him on numerous occasions over the course of a decade, and he chose to ignore them each time, claiming to have contracts with the actors in question, or their families, which is apparently under heavy debate (Burt Ward is already on record as saying he has never had any affiliation with the guy, and the families of Frank Gorshin, Victor Buono and Vincent Price are likewise clueless about any such agreements), and which, even if it was true, is still a pretty bad excuse as that clearly still doesn't give him any right to the character designs from the old Batman series or reproducing those actors as those characters, let alone using character names, costumes and logos. I mean when you sell a piece that is Adam West as Batman, and then claim it has nothing to do with DC or Batman, and is just an "Adam West" piece, you're clearly full of shit. Especially when your sculpt shows about 5% Adam West, and about 95% Batman.

Also John Stacks claims of only ever selling 50 or so in ten years online have also been well and truly refuted on the kitbash scene, as he was a well known (and not very respected) producer/seller who actually produced and sold an incredible amount of this stuff, hell, he's known to have sold hundreds on Ebay alone, under various account names. He's also well known for ripping people off, lying, and just generally being a right dodgy prick. And from what I've seen and read around the traps about this case, nobody who knows the guy has any sympathy for him or believes anything he has to say on the matter for a second.

In cases like this you makes your choices and you takes your chances, and if you get caught doing something that clearly has you in the wrong then you pretty much need to suck it up and take the consequences, especially when you were given an out and chose to ignore it and keep going anyway.

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:43 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top