Doctor Who? random gold...

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Doctor Who? random gold...

Post by Nightcrawler on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:19 pm

I just picked up a random on ebay... the 4th Doctor... Tom Baker from the Doctor Who Classics line!

I can't believe how cool he is! He came with an alternate head and sonic screwdriver! Sure I got it loose but it's instantly elevated to top 10 status of my collection. Now all I need is a Tardis, K-9 and Leela Shocked ... maybe a Dalek or two... cyclops

Damn... I feel a whole new addiction coming on.. no, really those few will do... hmm... maybe a Cyberman or two? Evil or Very Mad

Most of the stuff I have seen on shelves from this line is random aliens and some accessories. I could spring for a Martha 12" though... Twisted Evil

Anyone else out there got a soft spot for the good Doctor, especially the classics? Or know where to find the best TARDIS? alien

(edit) TARDIS acquired from UK... pics coming soon... LEELA WHERE ARE YOU??? Twisted Evil

Last edited by Nightcrawler on Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add pic)

Nightcrawler

Number of posts : 225
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Doctor Who? random gold...

Post by Xenaphobia on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:29 am

I have a decent sized Dr Who collection. Mainly "new" Who since I missed the Classics Wave when it was released in Australia (every ABC shop I went to said they sold out of the Doctors the same day they got the stock in - very annoying).

There's been no "classic" companions released yet - except for the various Sarah-Jane figures, but they are based on her appearances in "new" Who and her spin-off series "Sarah Jane Adventures".

There's been quite a few "new" and "classic" Daleks released (including a "classic" Dalek three-pack). Same with the Cybermen.

K-9 came with both a Rose and a Sarah-Jane figure in the "new" Who line.

As for the best TADIS - probably the "flight control/motion" TARDIS (or something similar to that). I'm still trying to hunt one down for a decent price off Evil-Bay since I also missed it when it was in stores in Australia (the Dr Who stuff sells immediately).

Good sites for toy news may include the toy forums at "outpostwho", "gallifreybase" and the online store "cmgifts" has a little bit of stock and ships to Australia (they're also willing to open the packets and just send the figures to make it cheaper). I haven't used them yet, but I've heard good things about them from other fans.

There is a TONNE of "classic" figures coming up for release - but I think all of them are various store exclusives in the US and UK and Funtastic have no interest in bringing them to Australia.

Also, it has long been rumoured that the scale is going to change to coincide with the fifth season of Dr Who and the "new" Doctor to 3.75" instead of 5".

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:36 am

yay who fans! Smile the flight control tardis is really neat, i was lucky enough to grab one at an abc shop before they sold out, it has really neat light and sound features! going to have to hunt down those classics figures, they look awesome!

i recently got this for my gf Smile

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:30 am

Mahzian wrote: i was lucky enough to grab one at an abc shop before they sold out

So was I. It is heaps of fun.
I love the Tardis interior playset too. A lot of cool features on that one.

Mine are all still shoved in my cupboard:

The fellow who is grabbing all the SDCC stuff for me was originally going to get all the Who exclusives as well (colour/Black&White 1st & 2nd Docs & blue 6th Doc) but I didn't have enough money so I had to drop the Who figures.

There is another 6th Doc exclusive coming in August:

And now some 3rd Doc Pertwee action!!

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:59 pm

I think the Pertwee is a little off, but I'm biased because he was always one of my favourite Doctors...maybe it's the hair, it should be more silvery-white rather than that darker gray. But yeah, for the scale they have done a pretty cool job on these. I was very tempted to get the classics figures, but I just never took the plunge.

And check out that Sea Devil. Awesomeness...

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedBreaker on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:09 pm

I agree, the Tom Baker sculpt is fantastic. I have him standing on my PC tower right now. thumbs up 2

SpeedBreaker

Number of posts : 33
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:44 pm

No wonder the ABC shops are all empty Artistix - all their stock is in YOUR cupboard! They just aren't equipped for the likes of our board members...

OK I now definitely want the TARDIS, K9 and a Dalek... and they HAVE to make a Leela, for sure!! If not I'll have to make do with a Martha as Tom's companion..

I do like the Pertwee sculpt actually (thanks for the pics), but Tom was my fave. I quite like David Tennant, but the ones in between sucked ass, although I do have a Dr Who 'The Visitation' novel I got signed by Peter Davison about 20 years ago at Southland in Melbourne... might have been the same year I sat in the 1966 Batmobile there too... or was that Chadstone? I digress. Although I got his autograph I don't think I need an action figure of him in that silly cricket jumper...

And can we pretend the 'movie' never happened?

Did anyone see the Dr Who Comic Relief episode 'The Curse of Fatal Death'? Rowen Atkinson (mostly) as the Doctor... BRILLIANT!

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spitcurlboy on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:15 pm

yes the doctor who line is great......

picked up tom baker Doctor at supanova syd this year

spitcurlboy

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Rowan Atkinson rocked as the Doctor. I had my fingers crossed that he would somehow be cast as the 11th Doctor, but they went with someone else.

I don't know why Stephen Moffat didn't read my mind and do exactly as I thought he should do. Rowan Atkinson as the Doctor and Lucy Lawless as the companion would have been brilliant!

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Now there's an idea for an action figure line - The Curse of Fatal Death Doctors! Rowan, Hugh Grant, Richard E Grant, Jim Broadbent and of course I'd have to grab Joanna Lumley!!!

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigSi on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:52 pm

Sea Devil FTW! If there's a Silurian on offer in this line I think I'm going to have to track 'em down.

ALl this is making me think of an ad I saw in the old Doctor Who magazine I used to collect as a kid - it was for a line of models which included a Dalek with removable panels and interior details - to this day, that's still one of my 'grails' - something to dream about and never actually own Surprised(

BigSi

Number of posts : 72
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2009-03-06

View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/simonsherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:22 pm

My Electronic Flight Control TARDIS arrived today and it is SOOO cool. I bought it on ebay from the UK used and loose but it's in perfect condition and all up cost me <$20 (inc postage) compared to the $80+ Aussie sellers have them for! Brilliant!

The lights, paint job, sound effects and interior are all first class! The doors open the right way (inwards) and can lock open. Possibly my favourite feature is it's ability to turn itself off, meaning you don't waste batteries by leaving it on. It can be reactivated from 'sleep' mode simply by pushing the door open. The only negative is there is some light leakage where the plastic panels join, but I can live with it.

Possibly ranks as my best score of the year on it's own, definitely when you add Tom!

(I thought adding Mulder and Scully to the shot might get a laugh) thumbs up 2

Last edited by Nightcrawler on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add pic and review)

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:18 am

Bargain!

Off to hunt on UK ebay for a flight control TARDIS of my own.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:40 am

Received a Mr Toys Toyworld catalogue in the mail today and they're claiming to have stock of the "Voyage of the Damned" (with the blue-suit, no coat Doctor, Astrid (aka Kylie Minogue in French maid outfit) and two hosts (angel-looking robots)) for only $20.00.

My local Toyworld didn't have any stock when I was in there the other day, but for only $5.00 each, the set is a bargain.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixo on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:40 am

I remember seeing that "Voyage of the Damned" set at the Toyworld Clearance Centre at the Waterfront City at the Docklands (ie. where the ferris wheel was/is).

Pixo

Pixo
Aussie slang for Pixie

Number of posts : 800
Trading Status : 29

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1074937977

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Wow OK that is good, although I'll probably enjoy burning (melting) Ms Minogue at the stake, the Doctor and angels sound like a deal. I'll check my local store but if anyone wants to pick me up one of these sets I'd appreciate it and pay postage costs! Cheers for the heads up...

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superevan on Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:21 pm

This line is fantastic I just need Dr 7 and Dr 8

superevan

Number of posts : 47
Trading Status : 4
Registration date : 2009-06-18

View user profile http://www.evanburrell.com

Back to top Go down

Post by spitcurlboy on Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:35 pm

and 11

wish they were more available in oz, they used to be then just stop

spitcurlboy

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:27 am

Awesome pics superevan! The Doctors look fantastic together.

Nightcrawler wrote:
and they HAVE to make a Leela, for sure!! If not I'll have to make do with a Martha as Tom's companion..

I'm hoping their idea is to get all the Doctors out, then they will start releasing some box sets for each Doctor which will hopefully include some companions.

The very notion that a figure like Leela wouldn't sell is crazy! Especially considering the Classics line seems more geared to collectors now.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:07 am

ahhh those figures are so rad, think i'll start collecting these!

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superevan on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:47 am

Hey expect to pay big $$$$$$$ for the 1st 2nd and 3rd Doctors I should of stoped when I got the 4th and 5th Doctor but I am sort of commited to get the other 3 hey??

superevan

Number of posts : 47
Trading Status : 4
Registration date : 2009-06-18

View user profile http://www.evanburrell.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:37 am

I tried my local Toyworld yesterday but they had no Dr Who figs at all and said it's not in their catalogue... so must be just Mr Toys? They did have some kind of black helmet and a scanner thing really cheap but I wasn't interested in them.

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:04 am

Nightcrawler wrote: They did have some kind of black helmet and a scanner thing really cheap but I wasn't interested in them.

That was the Judoon helmet & scanner from memory. Can't say I've been that interested in those kinda toys/props, however I did buy the 'Journal of Impossible Things' which came with a sonic screwdriver & that is really awesome.

superevan wrote: but I am sort of commited to get the other 3 hey??

Definately. Gotta have all the Doctors!! Very Happy

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:54 pm

Artistix wrote: Definately. Gotta have all the Doctors!! Very Happy

I disagree. Only the GOOD ones... stooges

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:25 pm

I further disagree. Only the affordable ones.

Which for me means Nos. 5, 9 and 10. Although, I'm hoping that Nos. 4 and 6 drop in price a little on Evil-Bay.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:00 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next