Star Trek figures and collectibles

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Star Trek figures and collectibles

Post by Nightcrawler on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:10 pm

I don't know about the rest of you but my Trek collection takes up quite a lot of shelf space. I've got a heap of the Playmates TNG figures and a few of their 9" figures, and have recently picked up some of the Art Asylum / Diamond Direct figures. While I like most of the sculpts (except Beverly) I find the lack of articulation frustrating, particularly in the legs - it makes for very limited, stiff and static display possibilities. Also each line is not in scale with the others. The TNG figures I have (Picard, Locutus, various Worfs and Troi) are quite taller and bulkier than the TOS and WOK figures (I have Spock, Kirk and Scotty). I never watched or collected Enterprise Twisted Evil stuff so can't compare them.

I have to say that I think the new playmates movie line really sucks Nutpunch and I won't be buying ONE figure or accessory, although of all of them it would be the quinto spock figure I might fall for - if it was in a $5 bargain bin... Tumbleweed

comments? Cussing

Nightcrawler

Number of posts : 225
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Trek figures and collectibles

Post by Artistix on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:26 am

I've been collecting Star Trek figures since 1993. Actually they were the first action figure line I ever collected. I didn't even watch Star Trek, but I loved the toys. I evetually became a big Trekkie.

DST's line is very hit & miss. From TNG wave 3 onwards the quality has been lower & QC issues are a constant problem. They try & do better with TOS releases, but not much effort for TNG & DS9.

Beverly Crushers prototypes were beautiful, but the final figures were badly hurt by the QC troubles. You can actually find some more attractive versions out there. I also managed to snag a proto of the Nemesis Beverly which has the correct hair:

Unlike the figure itself which has the wrong hairpiece (& the wrong colour!):

I had the Crusher hair copied by a customizer, & also got him to make a proper hairpiece for the movie Troi:

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:00 am

I was pretty disappointed by Playmates efforts with the movie line. I can understand their rationale for the two different scales (3.75" for the "kids" and 6" for the "collectors"), but the quality on the 6" figures isn't all that great (both in terms of sculpt and articulation).

Add in the fact that there is no guarantee of being able to complete the Enterprise crew in their uniforms (especially as a 6" Enterprise Uniform Uhura still hasn't been confirmed for release and the fact that some of the Enterprise Uniform figures in the second wave are meant to be some kind of "exclusives") and it's quite annoying.

IF I see the 6" figures for $12.00 or so, then I'll probably pick up a couple, but I'm not going to try and collect them all when there's no guarantee I'll ever be able to.

I would be more inclined to grab the 12" figures, but I haven't seen them anywhere in Australia. The sculpts are a little soft, but the uniforms seem to be well done and they seem to be moving ahead with releasing at least the "main" Enterprise crew members (including Uhura in Enterprise Uniform).

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:29 am

Artistix it looks like they couldn't even get the uniform colours consistent on the First Contact figures... Picard's undershirt is a lot more red... and they all have kinda goofy expressions.

I got the blue uniform Deanna and she's pretty cool, except her hair fell off pretty quickly. Not so cute bald... I'm not so keen on their sculpt of Patrick Stewart either... although they did Worf (all versions) pretty well.

I love the original movie uniforms so I got TWOK Adm Kirk, and his Shatner head is kinda weird looking too. I got TWOK Scotty cheap off ebay and really like him and want to add Sulu if I can find one, and maybe Uhura.

I only have Spock from the original series and I have to say he is the BEST of all of them. I'm not planning on starting to collect the DS9 ones...

Again my disappointment with the new movie figures from Playmates means I won't be collecting any, in ANY scale. Even the props are rubbish, nothing like the quality of the TNG tricorders and phasers they produced years ago. The Art Asylum/Diamond Direct seem to have taken over in that department. I have their classic phaser and communicator and they are AWESOME!!

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:41 pm

DST change factories soo much that consistency is a real problem.

I was disappointed in Playmates new figures when I first saw images of them. But once I had them in hand I found them to be fun. Some of them actually look kinda cool....not the Kirks though, they look terrible. Some of the wave 2 figures look funky:

6" wave 2

3.75" wave 2

My Big W has the 6" line, the playsets & the role play stuff. I plan on buying it all at some point. my 3.75" figures came from the Good Doc.

In the US the rest of the Bridge & Transporter consoles are included with the 3.75" line figures. However the first wave international releases did not include the extra playset pieces. We get them all in wave 2. Here is Playmates Press release regarding the matter:

At this time the 3.75" Galaxy figures that are shipping International
(Spring 2009 shipment) will not have the Bridge & Transporter
Accessories included. The second Wave of Galaxy figures shipping Fall of
2009 will have the Bridge Accessories included, most territories will
also have Booster (Bonus) packs, which will include 5 bridge/transporter
accessories with one 3.75 inch Star Trek figure in each booster pack,
totaling 2 different packs. This will take care of the first shipment
and make the Galaxy figures all complete with the Bridge & Transporter
parts. If the 2 Booster packs or Galaxy figures with accessories are not
available in your territory you can order from online retailers that do
sell them.
Please note *Some International territories may not include additional
pieces with the Galaxy Series Figures
Thank you & Regards,
Paula Billingsley, Consumer Services
Playmates Toys Inc.
877-612-7136

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Nightcrawler wrote: I have to say that I think the new playmates movie line really sucks Nutpunch and I won't be buying ONE figure or accessory, although of all of them it would be the quinto spock figure I might fall for - if it was in a $5 bargain bin... Tumbleweed

Haha, holding out paid off for me big time here.

Today i went to Toyworld at Tweed Heads and found Trek stuff massively slashed in price. The 3.75" figures were $2.95 each and the 6" figures were $4.95!! So I grabbed both Spocks in 6", and Sylar Spock and Uhura in the smaller sizes. Four figures for the price of one, I was pretty pleased. I didn't like the sculpts on any of the other figures, so left them on the pegs.

They also had the Bridge playset for $19.99 and the Enterprise I think was $29.95 but I passed on them also. The Transporter playset didn't seem to be discounted, and they had no tricorders or phasers.

So I was pleased to have picked up the only figs that interested me and for less than $20 spend.

<edit> Although it annoys me that neither the 6" or 3.75" are in scale with ANY other Trek figure releases... pfft

Last edited by Nightcrawler on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:18 pm

Bargain! The 6" figures are down to $12.00 in my local Toyworld, but there are no Kirks or Spocks left, so not much point starting a collection with only Sulu and Scotty.

I just hope that Playmates improve the action figure selection with the sequel. Or that I manage to find a TWOK set on Ebay for a cheap price (since they seem to be the most readily available and the cheapest of the Art Asylum/DST figures).

I do have the "classic/original series" versions of the four DS9 crew members that they released (found online for only $10.00 each). The likenesses are decent, but the scale is pretty terrible. Sisko is shorter than everyone else and O'Brien is monster tall.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Yeah seems like these are being cleared out across the board. I went to K-Mart and Big W after my Toyworld find and the Trek movie figures were discounted there too, but not by as much.

Casefresh has some pretty good prices on the AA/DST figures from time to time, including TWOK Scotty, Sulu, Bones and Chekov all for $60 last time I looked. I have a spare TWOK Scotty if you want him, Xena...

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:58 pm

I'm hoping to find a loose collection on Evil-Bay one day.

I'm in no hurry when it comes to the Classic Series Trek figures, so I'm good to wait. But thanks for the offer on the TWOK Scotty.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:29 am

Playmates Trek XI series 2 is now going to be an exclusive release. Apparently they will be distributed by DST!

Chuck from DST has mentioned Playmates & DST are going to be doing some work together...including 3.75" Classic figures (Shattner & co.) which they are hoping to release as 2-packs AND Chuck said he was hoping to make the waves mixed! (someone from TOS, someone from TNG etc).

My hope is that they will be able to give us TNG, DS9, Voy & maybe even some Enterprise figures in 3.75". And another hope would be DST helping Playmates with their god aweful bodies.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:32 am

Artistix wrote: In the US the rest of the Bridge & Transporter consoles are included with the 3.75" line figures. However the first wave international releases did not include the extra playset pieces. We get them all in wave 2.

This was the reason I left the Bridge playset on the shelf even though it was only $20. If the 3.75" figures had the extra pieces I might have been tempted to buy more, despite their shittyness. One of the Spocks I looked closely at only had one eye painted, the other just a blank socket!

And I haven't found DST's articulation to be particularly better than Playmates. Their legs are AWFUL. I doubt I'll be any more interested in wave 2 if and when we see it.

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:16 pm

OK I just opened the little Spock and I reckon I paid exactly what it's worth. It's RUBBISH, esp compared to DCIH or MU 3.75" figs. I pity anyone who paid full price and collected the whole set of these. I also have a problem with the little figure base that "doubles as a wearable badge" - it makes a crap badge (with a protrusion) and equally crap stand because of the clip on the back...

Anyway, here's a comparison of ALL my Spock figures from over the years... (I think)

(l-r) 9" Playmates Spock, 3.75" XI Spock, Classic Spock (AA), Spock from the Playmates classic bridge set, TWOK Spock (DST), Custom movie Spock and a 6" XI 'original' Spock.

Note NONE of them are in scale with each other. I never noticed the old playmates ones were different sizes, although one is a custom (Ambassador Spock head on Checkov movie body).

The Art Asylum classic Spock is my favourite sculpt, followed by the TWOK - I just loved those burgundy movie uniforms.

I think that's really crap if Playmates/DST mix up the genres in their 2-packs. It's just going to make collectors have to buy more to have a whole set of any particular show. I won't be buying any.

Last edited by Nightcrawler on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:07 am

It is now cornfirmed the Trek XI figures are cancelled. Series 2 will not be released.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:58 am

LOL. Great work Playmates!

Given the success of the movie, surely the action figures/merchandising could have made big $$$$ for Playmates.

And what about all those poor kids and collectors who are now stuck with only half-completed collections? Does Playmates expect them all to become head-swapping champions to complete their Enterprise crew?

Maybe they'll try to finish off the movie figures in their new combo "original series/everything else" series?

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixo on Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:37 am

I heard on one of the more recent Entertainment Earth podcasts with Adam Pawlus that this Series 2 was going to be an exclusive through two distributors as opposed to being cancelled.

Pixo

Pixo
Aussie slang for Pixie

Number of posts : 800
Trading Status : 29

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1074937977

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:09 am

Pixo wrote:I heard on one of the more recent Entertainment Earth podcasts with Adam Pawlus that this Series 2 was going to be an exclusive through two distributors as opposed to being cancelled.

Pixo

That was last week or so. DST was going to distribute them for Playmates....but today we got the news they are cancelled on the Entertainment Earth twitter blog thing.

Maybe they are going to repackage them or something...but I doubt it.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:22 am

Heads up Trek fans, the current Casefresh sale has most of the DST figures for $8 or less! Quite a saving on the up to $44 each on the pegs at Mr Toys! Two packs are $19.50! Get in quick!

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:43 am

Nightcrawler wrote:Heads up Trek fans, the current Casefresh sale has most of the DST figures for $8 or less! Quite a saving on the up to $44 each on the pegs at Mr Toys! Two packs are $19.50! Get in quick!

Holy crapping dog balls batman...

**runs over to Casefresh**

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:37 pm

yeah I missed out on the Capt Kirk command chair though, dammit... and the Picard one... shouldn't have made that post...

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:07 am

I'm only after the Retro Trek items. I think I have all the rest. Though a command chair Kirk would have been nice.

Ah, dammit. I missed out on Retro Spock & Uhura. Crying or Very sad

But I got the Kirk/Klingon & Sulu/Gorn sets fo less than $20 each AND the Retro Bridge Playset for $35!! Shocked

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. thumbs up 2

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:23 am

Well I got Sisko, Dax, Kira, Khan, Ro and the Riker w captains chair (I'll throw him out and put a Picard in - who liked those first season lycra outfits anyway?) all for $41.50!

That's less than I saw ONE figure for @ Mr Toys in Bris last week!

Gotta say though, I wasn't tempted by some of the lamer figures ie Beverley, even @ $4 each. And I never could stand Bashir, so I don't need a figure of him... LOL

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:41 am

I bought 5 of the $4 Nemesis Beverly Crusher figures! $20, couldn't resist!! Very Happy

I'm having my customiser swap the hairpieces over to the accurate style. I'll send you one if you are interested Nightcrawler, no cost at all.

She looks much better with the proper hair (so does Troi):

I damaged my Bev's forehead as you can see doing the swap over, but my custom guy is doing it all now, so she looks fantastic.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:38 am

Can your customiser create a hair piece for Jean-Luc? LOL.

Nightcrawler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:45 am

Nightcrawler wrote:Can your customiser create a hair piece for Jean-Luc? LOL.

Laughing

Maybe he'd look good with a Beverly hairpiece...or a fro! afro Laughing

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixo on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:44 am

Question without notice: Why is it so difficult to find a Diamond Select / Art Asylum Classic Trek Chekov? All eBay ever seems to have is the Mirror Chekov figure.

Pixo

Pixo
Aussie slang for Pixie

Number of posts : 800
Trading Status : 29

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1074937977

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:02 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down