Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Member Interviews -New 26/3 OCTANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Page 4

Post by Deno on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:06 am

Love reading these, it makes me feel i am not alone in this universe, and i am a huge fan of this on-line community Smile love ya all. Smile

Deno

Number of posts : 102
Trading Status : 4
Registration date : 2008-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:00 pm

thanks for the support guys....next one underway.....someone who's been around the boards for a long time.....?????

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:21 pm

Great, looking forward to it!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bowspearer on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:35 am

Niteowl, sounds like a meet could be doable for those of us on the Central Coast, as it looks like the 3 active Coasties on the board are all north of Gosford. Interesting.

bowspearer
Kickin' it old skool

Number of posts : 242
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://z7.invisionfree.com/Kickin_It_Old_School/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:12 pm

just a day or two away from the next posting.....

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:38 am

This month’s interview comes all the way from the USA.... Long time toy collector, retailer & board member OCTANE.......

Welcome, thanks for giving up your time,
So we’ll start with the basics

Who you are/age/history?

Age well that's a story in itself it either 39 or 40 (I'm guessing 40) I was born in a time period where children were not had out of wedlock for shaming the family. But according to my grandfather I was born before my parents were married. I was also born 2 months after my parents wedding and I've seen the photos my mother was not pregnant at her wedding. So I believe I was kept quiet for a year before being born again doctored birth certificate and all. My parents don't want to talk about it.

Who is in your family (or what you consider family)?

Eldest of 4 kids. 2 Sisters & one Brother. Eldest Sister is a Nurse, Brother works for some secretive Australian Government Agency and makes "Coffee" and my youngest sister is doing goodness knows what as she jumps around a bit, if there is a job shes done it. Parents separated both remarried and divorced again. And they use to give me a hard time for getting married multiply times. One Son Jack who just turned 14 currently lives with his mum in Australia, currently live with my girlfriend of 4 years in San Antonio TX USA. Who has a daughter just turn 10 going on about 17. We've also just taken custody of my Girlfriends Son's Son (Making him my step Grandson) Dante who is 10 months old. My Girlfriends worthless son and his GF I could wear out boots stomping them if I was allowed.

Employment?

Currently work as an IT geek for a Trucking firm been there 6 years. Run Octane Toys
http://usa.octanetoys.com/zenshop/
which is an online site which I sell all sorts of junk from currently it Anime Stuff and Video Games. I use to run it in the UK, USA and Australia but at the moment we just USA. Have a small selection of Anime/Japanese stuff at a retail store and also do about 14 toy/anime/comic cons a year. I service & run about 20 Arcade machines around town at several locations under my Octane Toys VGD monkey.

So what’s it like in the US?
Moving to the other side of the world was interesting and a really took a bit of getting use too. I will add that the whole reason I moved was mainly because of McDonalds Furbies and The Wiggles, figure out that one. I am luck in a sense because I grew up with my parents using Imperial Measurement so the whole distance, weight, measurements is okay. Schooling here is years behind, my High School education is the equivalent to some of there collage work. Culture is funny even though you speak roughly the same language it not the same. Most Americans knew nothing about where I came from apart from the Kangaroos and anything Steve Erwin taught them, which is not a good start. Also being in a heavily Hispanic town where the majority of the population speaks Spanish does not help, although the woman are truly beautiful. They have Australian themed restaurants that have nothing to do with Australian Food, I worked there and use to earn huge tips just by BSing and pandering to their egos. Most Americans don't get why the rest of the world does not like them even when explained to them. It's quite a backwards country in many respects and they don't handle change well. It took a while to get use too. I use to wander the supermarkets trying to find products I knew, Lipton makes instant noodles that blew my mind. The Candy/Lollies & Soda/Soft drinks tasted funny having Corn Syrup instead of sugar. The beer was crap. Bread never went mouldy, eggs where all the same colour, fresh fruit, Veg and Meats where dame expensive, not as bad as the UK. I had to mail cheques for bills and they spell it check. Big eat out culture, and the tipping for just about anything even for bad service has me perplexed. They sensor TV and Movies for Language and Sex but not violence. (Showgirls is even more laughable) When I got here they where all bitching about Petrol going up to over a $1 a gallon OMG it cost me $15 to fill the car how good was that even with the exchange rate as crappy as it was 10 years ago. There is alot of BS that goes on and you just have to accept it and don't question it. Looks and charisma trumps actual skills and knowledge. Stupidity, political correctness, not taking ownership is going to be the downfall of the country. Be interesting to see how my GF and her Daughter fit into my culture, I don't think that will go well at all. But getting away from here could be good before the country implodes.

What do you collect?

I currently collect not a lot any more. Have a huge Pez collection which is about the only thing that I keep adding to. Occasionally pick up a piece here and there. Grabbed a few Revoltech which are fairly cool toys. Still have a huge vice for Transformers have almost all the Animated and Classics line. Buy a piece from Japan ever so often as I am constantly getting crap from Japan. Buy way too many classic video games and Arcade machines. Have far too many DVD's that I never have time to watch. I tend to collect something until I've completed the collection then just sell it off because the fun of collecting is in the chase. Although now thanks to the Internet the fun is really not there. It takes no time to get online find what you want and buy it, if money is no object. Plus having wholesales accounts with everyone tends to really take the fun out of it.

Plans for the next 5-10 yrs?

Where will I be in the next 5-10 years? Hopefully back in Australia in the next 2-3 years although I seem to get sidetracked and my US stay has been a lot longer than I suspected. Originally was only going to be 3-4 years now it coming up to on 10 years. The plan was last year but got put out of wack with the fires early last year now with Baby Dante I don't know. Hopefully have some sort of business similar to the number of things I currently do but if all else fail I could go back to farming as both my parents have farms and are getting on a bit. Have a couple of ideas all which require serious money but at least I have the knowledge behind me to maybe pull something off. I was all gun ho back in the 90's about producing action figures and toys, had several actual good idea's but no clue on how or what I was doing. It's really not that easy. Got to prototype on a couple, learnt a lot, got screwed around a lot, resulted in a lot of waisted money, time and effort, but did get a few good contacts and actually someone else producing figures from one line directly because I owned the rights at some stage, they would never have been produced if I had not been poking around. We probably will have a online exclusive figure from someone in the next year, not that I am happy with who I am dealing with because I am trying to not get screwed in the process. I've learn that you will get screwed if you are not careful, not free idea's for anyone.

I remember something about you losing stuff in the fires a year ago......could you maybe give us a quick update? Was it stock/personal collection/ has insurance come through? etc.

Yes the wonderful fires of 2009. That was a bit of a rough time, lost a couple of mates and a few friends/People I knew of, my mother was missing for about 3 days. Major case of the guilt's because I was not there, being on the other side of the world and being a CFA member you wonder would have things been different if you where there. Was on a standby flight back to Australia when I got the word mum was okay. I have vivid memories of Ash Wednesday as a teen fighting that fire so the Black Saturday Bushfire where probably just as bad if not worse. I lost a lot of stuff in 1990 in a storage fire as well, although I was stupid and had nothing insured then I learnt from that mistake. The insurance money had come thru and I gave it all to my mother to rebuild her life about 50K of it. Because obviously she lost everything and well I have things in the US. She is finally starting to rebuild the house started the beginning of the month. Man did everyone drag there feet getting the permits and inspections on that almost a year before being allowed to rebuilt. I lost about 10K probably a lot more in what I would loosely term stock (Being boxes of stuff I sent from the USA and a heap of stuff I had not even bothered to catalogue and get on the web site.) and about 50K-70 in collect ables/personal stuff. Lost a lot of cool physical stuff which with time and money can be replaced, the personal stuff like photos, letters, drawings, several hard drives of business work etc unfortunately lost. But most importantly I have memories of it all I probably should write it all down because I done and been involved in a heap of interesting stuff. Always on the edge of greatness but never achieving anything. I kick myself for a lot of it. LOL I had things in 3 different locations thinking that if I had stuff spread out it would be safe. Offsite backups, and copies ain't worth a dam if they get wiped out as well.

I lost an almost complete Australian Stamp collection up till 2000, I can credit my mother for starting that whenever she use to get on my case about collecting anything I would bring the stamp thing up. 15+ years of pez (That bummed me a bit because I had a huge collection that I obtained from all over the world pre-internet days.), 10 years of comics, 5 years of trading cards, almost the complete Toybiz range of everything Marvel and most of the WCW stuff. I was a Toybiz nut, before I figured out I could get stuff directly from Funtastic I had 3 Toyworlds and 1 Toy Kingdom ordering me cases of figures. The only thing I never had was Secret Wars. Funny I stopped collecting Toybiz when Spiderman Classics came out because I did not like them. The Early Marvel Super heroes where kooky, loved the Spiderman line, when led into the FF, Hulk, Ironman. The X-men line was a pain because we got series 1 and 2 released then nothing for years and years, light up X-men was maybe the first release afterwards and I purchased most of it from the US thru contacts. There where bunch of odd ball Marvel lines I got from the US and UK. Lots of cooler stuff like Aliens, Predator, EWJ, Skeleton Warriors, Crash Dummies, Batman, Visionaries, Tick, LE Action Man. I'm actually glad it burnt some like my Primal Rage, the Fugly Lara Croft Toybiz figure, Peanut Head Phantom and the huge stock pile of Beanie Babies which made me mad money in the mid/late 90's, there is a delicious story behind stupid Beanie Babies. I'd actually slowed down on the action figures collection towards 2000 and had sold/dumped a hell of a lot of it off. My entire 199X Star Wars Collection right about when freeze frames came out I'd gotten rid of, and I had everything and multiple. After figuring out Hasbro would just keep producing the line never to stop, re-releasing things over and over again with minor tweeks. I was also a little pissed at them over the whole Episode One Toy thing where the small guys (Toyworld, Toy Kindoms, Independence's) where not even allowed to look at the line at Toy Fair then we all got our order several weeks after the majors got there's. Vowed to never deal in their product again, no regrets on being Mr Cranky on that. My Original Star Wars figures I am really upset about losing, the only original I had at the time the line came out was Admiral Akbar thanks to the Peters Ice Pole send away (How sad is that, the only Star wars figure I owned was Admiral Akbar and I had to send away for it. Let me repeat the I sent away for Admiral Akbar, they could not give those peg warmers away at the end of the toys run. I remember seeing K-marts with racks of them. My brother had the cool stuff like Ewoks, Storm Troopers and lead characters, I had Admiral Akbar who had a stick for pointing and 'yelling it's a trap' he was completely useless when playing Star Wars, he could not even hold his stick properly. Than goodness our Transformers Wars was better as I owned most of the bad guys.) I obtained a huge amount of Original Star Wars in the late 80 thanks to Show Bags at several royal shows. ($8 for 3 carded and one Kenner bagged figure sure who would not be all over that. 3 of the above bags for $20 even better. There's a deal thinking back, I should have bought far more. There's a whole cool story behind that and Smurfs at the time.) McFarlane figures up to Series 15 including repaints, I lost the passion for all things Todd when they became as playable as a coffee mug. A fair number of Transformers, mainly all original stuff with boxes and everything. A lot of Evil Knievel toys my cousin gave me, they where cool. Huge amount of Video Gaming Stuff, which I have duplicated in the US anyway. Unfortunately growing up I lived in a small country town so we'd never get to hit big city all that often so alot of my stuff I obtained thanks to send away’s or mail order and lots of Aluminium Can collecting. Kids today with there fancy allowances and stuff what do they know. Worked my tail off on a farm then have to collect trash from the side of a road for money, and they still made Steel Beer Cans back then as well. Hands up who sent there points in for Transformers when Mattel distributed them? Half my collection I had thanks to that. Member of the Wagon Wheel Club? I can thank then for at least 8 Transformers and 5 He-man figures. Local Footy on the Weekends the Tuck shop sold Wagon wheels guess who scrounged every rapper he could find, I have no shame. My dad was big into Agriculture so we'd always go a heap of Show/Royal Shows go to this day I hate horses because of it but I got a lot of cool Showbagy goodness from the time when they actually put cool things in them. It was not until I moved to Melbourne in 1989 that I discover more collectibles, in 1993 when I found out there was other stuff available in other countries that never made it to Australia my head was spinning as to how to lay my hands on them.

The only things I have started to replace that I lost in the fires where some trading cards because thanks to the Trading Card Crash in 1995-6 they aren't worth nearly what I payed for them back then, with the exception of Marvel Fleer which is as expensive as hell. Man was I glad I saw that crash coming and scaled back in Trading cards back then when I was dealing in them. Some Comics which have been easy to buy just because its all old stuff and I am not waiting every month for a new comic or in the Ticks comics case every 3-7 months. Prices are insanely low well below cover price too. Man the internet’s made comic collecting easy no trips to the Minotaur in Flinders lane (Yes they've move a number of times since then), Alternate Worlds, Age of Aquarius (Well and truly gone), Road Trips to Bendigo Books, Comic conventions and Collector Fairs. And my 80's space lego collection, which I admit is actually been fun to collect again although I cheated and bought just about everything online. It's been the one thing where I have not really cared on price I just buy pieces because I really want them. Old lego Rocks, there is nothing better putting these old models back together again. Unfortunately I don't have the space to display them, and the GF is sort of pissy at that stuff in the house.

Favourite toy line that you think really hit the mark?

Favourite toy is a tough? So let’s pick a few. If I had to pick one it would be Older Lego, before that started casting huge pieces and making Lego like Duplo (Although Fabuland still rocks) Building stuff is always fun, I grew up with my Dads Macanno set although had to be very careful with it (My dad was a tight wad could not break any of his stuff.) but it was not until I got Lego I could really let the mind run free building whatever I could with little square blocks. Being a seventy's kid space was where it was at and Lego having space pieces was great, although I also loved my Town and Castle. My brother an I spend hours building towns and space scapes brick at a time. We would have rocked at stop motion. I had Lego men pre them having movable arms and legs. Second is Smash up Darby. Now that a cool toy to play with, it looks cool, it feels cool, it sounds cool, who does not want to run a car into a wall and have it explode into pieces then put it back together and repeat. The only thing better is having 2 cars and ramps to crash them into each other. They don't make toys like that any more. Although Crash Test Dummies do come close. Finally Revoltech, cool looking, massive amount of possibility and most importantly well made with a huge amount of Japanese Roboty goodness. And a good mention to Transformers for playing a huge part in my life although I have grown to hate the sucky ball joints that appeared around Beast Wars.

.....I wish I was allowed to collect arcade machines (ever since watching Silver Spoons)......love Raiden & SF 2......... Which ones have you got?
Arcade Machines currently licensed and earning money I have 3 DDR machines (Man has that fad died in the butt. Luck I supply them to Anime conventions so they still make money.), 2 Yu-gi-oh Dueling Terminals (Konami I hate you for ripping me off on the stupid cards they dispense, these where a Business Associates idea. The cost on new machines is crazy.), a Par-a-par machine, Tekken Tag, 3 NeoGeo's (With about 100 games), SFIII, 2 Classics Machine (Runs all the older games like Galaga, Space invaders), Fighting Machine (Streetfighter, MK, KI), 4 Player Machine (Gauntlet, Spiderman, Turtles), Sega Naomi (An overgrown Dreamcast, can switch out games like a NeoGeo MVC2, Guilty Gear, Powerstone, Spawn) In my personal collection I have a Defender, Tron, 2 Classics Machines (Which I custom build from scratch and sell, just have not sold these) Gun Fighter Pinball just because it's the first Pinball machine I bought, If I had a cooler one I would sell it in a heart beat. About 20-30 game boards of games I like, just because. Broken items that if I ever get time I should fix 4 Crane machines, 2 Police Force Pinball Machines, Black Hole Pinball Machine, Pinbot Pinball, Rollergames Pinball & Atari Baseball. I really want a Sprint 2 machine and a Kasco Gun Smoke shooting machine (Both from the 70) plus if I could get Creature from the Black Lagoon, Scared Stiff or Getaway Pinball machine even though I hate working on pinball machines I would be very happy. My GF would have a fit if I have any more machines in the house.

So we’ve seen your Monkey & Wolvie costumes
http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com/custom-creations-f12/i-make-something-t1211.htm
& a few transformer ones..
http://usa.octanetoys.com/ProjectTransformer.html ...any others in the pipeline? what type of reaction do they get at the trade fairs/cons?
Monkey ones don't get much notice at any conventions. I usually get asked who it is or is it from Dragonball because not many are familiar with the series in the USA, it would totally rock in Australia or the UK. Wolverine one a bit more because I can do the voice plus I actually do look a little like Hugh Jackman but much taller and less is shape. I also have a Demitri Maximoff from Darkstalkers which gets noticed because the red contacts. The Transformers ones I have built are usually the stars. They have never lost any costume comps I have ever entered, even have a wonderful Hasbro award for one. But again take up too much space to be transported so they just hang out in the lounge.

I got a couple costumes that I started but never finished due to not enough time, never enough energy and just flat out can't be bothered. I blame my kidney failure on most of it. That and anything too complex takes up far too much room in the car, my Shockwave costume takes up the entire car to transport, which we can't do anymore. I have a 45% finished Transformers Kickback which looks cool which I should get around to finishing. A Barbie Jeep that I cut into pieces to make a TF Hound Costume that never got past the cutting into pieces stage. I started a Alponse Elric FMA suit of armour made out of tin but quickly discovered that tin when cut is quite sharp and cuts skin very well, plus Anime Cons generally frown on things made of real metal. I also have plans for a Dalek or 2, I still kick myself that I did not buy the one the ABC had commissioned to be build to promote the series when I had the chance back in the 90's. And then the love affair with a Aliens Power Loader which I keep hoarding pieces of styrofoam for only to then throw it all out when I need space, then 6 months later get motivated again and start hording. That one I will get around to building simply because it is so cool.

Best convention moment?

I do a lot of conventions both big and small, have grown to hate the big ones. Although we are toying with the idea of Vending at a Wizard World this year. I have a buddy that does SDCC but 3K for a booth space is crazy money, I think he does it just to say he vends at SDCC. But again he does it full time and I'm part time, although 20 shows a year is getting there. Some funny moments is if you find photos of our booth space it is usually quite impressive what is more impressive is usually all of it is packed up in a Small Kia car, I friends who display less stuff who have trucks and trailers. Although thanks to our new found son and getting bigger each year we really need a bigger vehical for people and product. At one Anime convention, at a Catholic School no less, I pointed out to my partner an interesting costume which I had seen before. It was a real Ceremonial Wiccan (Witch) Robe, the girl wearing it said it was something someone in her family had and she "borrowed it" without them knowing it and had know clue what it was other than looking cool. My GF had a fit as she is a practicing Wicca, where I had seen the exact robe before. Apparently it would be the equivalent to wearing about a Masonic Apron in public and very taboo, my understanding is really only one rule with Wicca and it is not dress code related. I saw no other witches with black kitties in tow offering to hex the girl. But then again I usually get into trouble for looking, talking or just being on the same planet as any cute anime dressed girl.

Where else do you regularly visit/contribute to on the www?

Get all my wrastling news from www.wrestleview.com and wrastling humour at www.wrestlecrap.com, occasionally look in at www.aintitcool.com, videogame stuff at www.screwattack.com & www.vgmastersclub.com, always answering video game questions over at www.allexperts.com, very occasionally I am on www.shockertoys.com (I'm been following Mr colourful since he discovered the web in 2001, you don't know the half of it.), occasionally I swing by whatever form ozfigurama is in because I am still an Aussie Toy Addict at heart, for pure fun I look at the stupidity that goes on in the message board at www.oztion.com.au or www.x-entertainment.com which I always find stuff that will amuse me although never updated any more. I have a facebook page but usually only use it to communicate with my son, because he is young and hip and thinks facebook is cool and that. (I guess like I was with dial up BSB back in the day)

Favourite live show seen: (concert/play/comedian/public speaker)

Best live show I saw recently was Walking With Dinosaurs, although short the technology was awesome. Totally lost on my 10 year old Step daughter who bitched the entire show because I would not buy her a $5 ice-cream.

Favourite tough guy: (Movie/comics/book)

Favourite fictional movie tough guy would have to be Jean Reno in his 2 movies Nikita (La Femme Nikita) and Leon (The Professional) in real life it would have to be Mark "Jacko" Jackson because it is really a lunatic.

a book everyone should read:
The last book I read was The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement which I found enjoyable and particularly relevant to where I am in life.

most famous person met:

Most famous person met? That’s a tough one I've met and know a lot of people you could call Famous. George Miller on the set of Babe was probably the most influential one in my life he is a cool guy really got my mind thinking. Kick myself moment. I went Skating and to the movies on separate occasions with a short girl with some big haired I met when at Channel 10 when I made my first of many appearances on the Early Bird Show back in the 80's, she had a famous sister at the time doing Young Talent Time. I wonder what ever happened to that Kylie Minogue chick? What did I know when I was 14-15? Nothing!!!! I also BBQ with Steve Irwin in the US and yes he was always wired and never turned off.

any last words?

Famous last words? Take every opportunity you can, better to try, fail and learn then to not do anything. And don't give people free idea's because they will use them and become famous, rich and successful.

Many thanks again for taking the time to answer with depth & quality the questions!

Hope you guys enjoyed the read......as always comments welcomed & encouraged.

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by bowspearer on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:32 am

Nice work there. I seriously need to look at getting one of the retro cross platform gaming consoles he sells.

bowspearer
Kickin' it old skool

Number of posts : 242
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://z7.invisionfree.com/Kickin_It_Old_School/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:33 am

Great read, very cool to hear this backstory.

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemish on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:21 pm

Great interview, thanks for sharing

Hemish
Likes a good dead camel pillow

Number of posts : 902
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile http://www.katoots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:06 am

As always great read!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Great work guys, even though I think we only just scratched the surface on Stuart.

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KittyScully on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:49 pm

love the interviews they are a nice touch to the forum

KittyScully

Number of posts : 18