Member Interviews -New 26/3 OCTANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Page 4

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Member Interviews -New 26/3 OCTANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Page 4

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:22 pm

I'm attempting to do one a month....give or take depending on how busy I get.....think it's gone pretty well so far.....it's great to learn a little more about the crew here.

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Deno on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:40 pm

Well done who's next ?? (love it)

Deno

Number of posts : 102
Trading Status : 4
Registration date : 2008-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:59 am

I always thought you were about my age for some reason Doc.

Love the interviews. Very Happy

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:36 pm

stay tuned....next interview will be up in a week....it's from one of our top 10 posters....

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:35 am

OK next cab off the rank is the one & only TheSweetestThing....

Firstly the basics........Age / Family / friends / relationship
I'm 21 years old, live with my mum & dad at home, along with my younger sister. I'm currently single and I'm enjoying the time 'alone' with my friends more than any thing else.

Job/ study
I graduated High School in 05 and went on to a general IT course at Tafe in 06. I failed that course (completely distracted) and was allowed to make up enough of the units from it whilst going onto do cert 4 Web Design. I then lost interest in it and ended up doing some of the interesting units for a few weeks. At the time I'd fallen in love with one of the girls I met in the course (much to my utter shock) and had the whole 'coming out' thing going on.
So one day I was out shopping with my sis (was still attending some classes at tafe at this stage) and my mum rang me, asked what I was doing and then pretty much made me come in to do a production line shift where she works. Pretty soon I was on 5 days a week in my first proper job. At the time they had little in the way of packing machinery so I was putting bottles into a filling machine, packing 6 packs of beer by hand, packing 6 packs into cartons by hand and stacking pallets by hand. We eventually got a few machines on and now days they have machinery doing pretty much everything.
3 months later they sacked the receptionist and I was given that job through sheer suggestion, mum was the only other girl in the office, they needed someone bad and I was right there. Been there ever since. And I still don't drink beer. Razz

Currently I'm also in a volunteer position as an admin for a Sydney based LAN called SOGC. We're pretty small and only started in September last year but we're finally moving on up and getting better numbers.

Where you live / where you hang out
I live on the Central Coast of NSW, up the very northern end. I've lived in the same house all my life and have never gotten sick of it, which is weird for me as I love a change of scenery often.
I tend to hang out at home a lot as I have a bit of a subconscious rule to stay home during the week while working. On weekends I'm either in the area bumming around, hanging with friends or at the local gay club when they're on. Otherwise I'm in Sydney hanging with friends there or doing SOGC stuff.

So career/life wise any plans for the next 5 yrs or so?
Career wise I'm just aiming at getting into a production job when the new brewery opens up closer to home. I never really had any career aspirations so I'm just sitting in a low paying job like a bum. Lol. But yeah, I've heard murmurs of possibly being shoved into a computer-based production job so that'd suit me to a tee I reckon. This reception crap drove me nuts from day 1 Razz
As for life in general, I plan on doing a bit more travel before I leave home, and hoping to start saving for a house deposit soonish. I'm not a fan of the idea of renting, and although I know I'll never be able to move straight out into a home I 'own' , its a nice dream to have.
Basically I'm a pretty selfish individual, so I have no intentions of ever getting married or having kids. With any luck though one day I'll meet someone special to be selfish with Razz

Last time I went to a LAN game battlefield 1942 was the big thing what's everyone playing now?.....surely not still counterstrike (always seemed to die before I could work out how to buy the right guns & ammo) and is there any games you're pretty good at?
Favourite games you can list?

Right now the big ones at our LAN are Call of Duty 4 (COD4) and Team Fortress 2 (TF2). As a more 'specialty' game, we tend to hold a lot of demolition derby's on Flatout 2 - its a very popular game amongst our attendees. Counter Strike: Source is still fairly popular, but due to the types of people that play it we don't really cater for it.

As for me, I'm probably the most retarded gamer you'll ever meet. I'm terrible at games in general, and don't really stick to any particular genre (e.g rpg's or fps's). My favourite games I'll go back to year after year to have a good bash and get sick of it again.
So in no particular order, my faves include: Doom I & II, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-4, Harvest Moon, Crash Team Racing, SSX Tricky, Pokemon Blue, GTA: Vice City & San Andreas, Skate. 1, Left 4 Dead, etc...

Can you give us a rundown of what you are currently collecting (toys/books/props/whatever)
has much changed from what we see here?
http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com/shelf-life-f8/tst-s-disorganisation-t199.htm
A lot has changed actually. I've sold a lot of my collection off due to disinterest, costs or lack of space.
Out of that stuff, aside from the clones, I still have the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon mega collectables, Potter characters & Mezco Hoodz.

My clone collection has hit a bit of a stand still in terms of new things to collect. I have bought a few new 3 3/4" figures but thats about it. Everything else beyond what I have is going to be expensive to get a hold of, which isn't a nice thought Razz
The new Sideshow clone stuff though has got me very excited. I'm hoping to get all of the newly announced stuff such as the Commander Cody bust and Yoda/501st Premium format 'figure', as well as keep up with the 12" ones.

Other than that I have my few Batman and Spiderman figures on display still, which I quite like.
I've also become attached to the Mighty Muggs a lot more - I have about 6 and I'm looking to add more to the collection. I really like the armoured Star Wars characters. They work the best in the format. Though my favourite mugg is my spidey one.

So toys aside, I've still got a chunk of my star wars books and lego. I'm torn on the lego. It doesn't get used and I'm half heartedly selling it (too lazy!) but I still really like it. I figure with collecting if I can let something go I should do it, I'll regret having it lying around otherwise.

I have a bit of a console collection still in my cupboard, which I've also tried to offload recently. Some Sega consoles, SNES, PS1, etc. I could list them but I can't remember what I've got any more. I've kept my Gameboy collection. I haven't added anything for years but I've still got to buy a micro and a regular gba before I have the lot. From there I'm thinking about collecting colours or special editions or something. I'd really like a Japanese Gameboy "light" too.

At the moment I have a real love for TV on DVD, so I think once I return from the states I'm going to save a little money and go nuts in JB. Last few times I've been in there just itching to spend big!

So what things did you collect early on as a kid?....do you still have everything?
I was an avid collector of just about anything as a kid! Soft toys, marbles, tazo's, basketball cards, pokemon cards, yo-yos, stamps, anything I could get my hands on. I still have my tazo's, unfortunately haven't got much else. I'm looking to get back the pokemon cards, eventually.

Is there one collectable/item (no matter the cost) that you would love to get a hold of?
Absolutely - the Obi-Wan Kenobi AOTC Master Replicas Lightsaber. Which...I'm trying my very best to scrape some funds together for right at the moment.
Other than that...I'm a bit of a realist. The idea of actually getting a hold of one of the originals...its never entered my mind until you asked the question! It still doesn't get me excited or anything. Maybe if I saw one in person or for sale or something Wink

(Next 2 from TheGoodDr)
What was your first Star Wars toy that she ever received/bought and does she still have it?

Ooh...I honestly couldn't tell you the very first. My Dad has always been a big Star Wars fan, and one year at least 10 years ago, my Auntie gave him an Applause Chewbacca statue, and I always loved it. Probably more because of the attachment to my family it has. So when I really got into collecting, my Dad gave it to me. I never even asked for it so I was pretty stoked.
I would guess that my first one would probably be from the little shopping trip I had to the local TRU some 9 or so years ago - I must have had some birthday money or something and we came across these remaining TPM figures. I bought about 4 figures and a flash speeder. I loved those figures. I don't have them any more, I sold them on the boards a couple of years ago, but they were pretty damn cool.

How does she feel about being the only active female board member? .....
Honestly - it doesn't phase me. I'm also the only active female board member on my LAN community's web site, and I've always grown up hanging around the boys. I don't even think on it!
(then I asked whether Artistix was a girl (sorry it was the Avatar))
Oh and as an aside, I'm pretty sure Artistix is male - wasn't he the one doing the amateur wrestling a few years back? I do remember seeing pics of a guy doing that...anyway, I just spoke to him today and his name is Sam so who knows?

How is your collecting/expenditure looked at by those in your family / friends
Weirdly, no one has ever really found it to be a negative - nobody that counted, anyway. My Mum ended up becoming a bit of a lover of finding new and interesting things back when I collected Star Wars stuff in general, I was about 15 or 16 at the time. I've always been a bit of a big kid to my family and friends so no one was ever really surprised.
They were always laughing when I bought things like the Spice Girls dolls though. Razz

I should mention that collections are also a general thing for me. I've been collecting things since day dot. It just depends on when you ask me as to what I'm collecting at the time!

So what's the plan for the holiday? What are you getting up to?
on the last paid day off today, I was off for 2 weeks in the US, travelling mainly for QuakeCon in Dallas, TX.
We stayed in Downtown LA for our first few days, absolutely dismal place to stay - historic learny museum area, nothing I'm particularly interested in. Though, for anyone who watches Man V Food, I did get to enjoy Philipe's the Original Sandwich place & Orochon Ramen - fantastic food!
I also thought LA was overrated...I'm assuming it's still covered with a layer of dirt on everything......San Fran down the road is much better...one of my favourite places......
Haha yeah I know what you mean about the layer of dirt...its pretty nasty in that respect! I'm definitely looking to hit up Frisco, I've heard some good things from many people.

From there we hit Grapevine just outside of Dallas, for 4 days. We stayed at the Gaylord Texan, absolutely fantastic resort and the Con was really enjoyable. I intend on returning some time in the future, and attending the LAN that is the main part of the convention - also planning on staying to the very end to help pack up - couple of guys I know stuck around and were handsomely rewarded Wink
We hit Vegas next, only for a couple of days but damn it was a fantastic experience. I'm definitely heading back there as soon as I can - even someone like me that doesn't drink or gamble, it was a great little city to check out.

Have you travelled anywhere else?......anywhere in the world you would love to go to/still want to see?
This was my first OS trip, have done little travel around Australia, sticking to the Eastern states.
I have a bit of an extensive list coming along now. I want to get back to Vegas, obviously, I have a lot of places on the list for a little Man V Food tour - some fantastic places he's visited and I'd love to check them out.
I also want to hit up SDCC sometime soon, Digital Overload & probably New York at the same time.
I've been inspired to do a trip similar to that of the Top Gear Vietnam expedition, and I would like to visit Europe eventually, but I'm not a backpacking type, gimme good hotels thanks Wink - my parents are probably going in a few years and have asked me to join them, cheaper accommodation and such.

So I've never seem man Vs Food (Foxtel maybe?) So what's your favourite food?
It's probably on Foxtel, I'm not sure - I don't have it. I keep updated via...the internet...yeah, that. Razz
Favourite food...I don't think I really have one. I do love my folk's roast dinners though.

And have you had any memorable meals that you'll always remember - for the people /night / food?
My first experience at Lone Star at the age of 12 - mostly because it was my birthday, and they embarrass the hell out of you there. Other than that...eating at Xerts in Sydney as a kid, and definitely Orochon Ramen/Philippe's - it was surreal being there after seeing it on the telly.

Saw through your facebook you met will Smith (he looked skinnier than I thought)....I know you've met DaBigFella have you met anyone else famous?
Ah, yes...Will Smith. Madam Tussauds may have had a hand in producing that photo Razz Its easier to tell when you see that "he" and I have the same shoulder size...haha! As if!
As for actual famous people, can't forget DBF's partner in crime, I believe he goes by the name Cletus...
But really, only V8Supercar drivers like Lowndes and Johnson. I'm a ford girl. Oh, and Jay Laga'aia - nice guy.

What other websites do you visit regularly?
The website for the LAN I'm a part of - sogc.com.au - constantly.
Others include webcomics - Questionable Content and Ctrl+Alt+Del, imdb helps me out a lot, OCAU on occasion (used to be a big forum poster but not so much these days) and of course, Mousedroid.com and Rebelscum.com.

A big public thank you to Amy for a great read....Please hit us up with some comments......as per past interviews she has nominated the next candidate so if ya gots da PM it's probably you. thanks again for tuning in

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:58 am

Haha I should confirm that since the questions I've confirmed that Artistix is indeed male, as I expected. Sorry if theres any confusion there mate!

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:37 am

Nice work, good to hear some interesting details, these interviews are such a great idea. And as a fellow non gambler Vegas really is the best spot to holiday, just an awsome place in general!! (and celebrity status, i'm blushing!!!)

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:27 am

Hey I was the one who asked the question so all abuse can be directed to me sorry Artistix :0

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemish on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:52 am

Good read

Hemish
Likes a good dead camel pillow

Number of posts : 902
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile http://www.katoots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:47 pm

Good work guys, keep em coming!

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Octane on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:02 pm

Good stuff....

Octane

Number of posts : 232
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:25 pm

Great stuff, as always.

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuzzcat on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:35 am

Hey TST, welcome to the club! Wink
You guys should be clambouring to get your turn at this - it's such a good experience.....

fuzzcat

Number of posts : 602
Trading Status : 36
Registration date : 2008-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:29 am

Speaking of which any volunteers for the next round?
PM me if interested
Cheers

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:06 am

Interesting read, this is a good initiative by TDOS. It's really re-building the community feel we had back in the OzFigure days.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:16 am

Another fine read Smile
Who's next?

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Jor-El wrote:Interesting read, this is a good initiative by TDOS. It's really re-building the community feel we had back in the OzFigure days.
It sure is, looking forward to whoever goes next!!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by the dirty digger on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:05 pm

Great read, Amy. You share your name with my eldest daughter and after reading your interview I feel a little less guilty about turning her into a toy collecting, gamer nerd. Thanks! Smile

the dirty digger
Saving the world...one MILF at a time

Number of posts : 353
Trading Status : 1
Registration date : 2009-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:54 am

Haha fantastic, always good to know theres another out there! Smile

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deno on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:46 pm

Yet another fine read, Awesome!!

Deno

Number of posts : 102
Trading Status : 4
Registration date : 2008-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Next?

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:05 pm

is on it's way prob about 1/3 done

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemish on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:18 pm

Hows this thing going?

Hemish
Likes a good dead camel pillow

Number of posts : 902
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile http://www.katoots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:35 am

OK peoples next interview is just pending final OK so should be up today or tomoz......still also have one going just needing a few more answers from someone Wink Wink ......stay tuned

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:08 am

This latest interview is with the #5 highest poster here and longtime member of our boards past & present...........a great guy, many thanks for contributing..... so readers please welcome NiteOwl
....as always your feedback is welcomed.

Can you outline your family?...
My immediate family consists of my wife Leanne, my two daughters Emily (10) Hayley (7) and my son Darcy (2) My extended family is huge, my father has 11 brothers and sisters and everybody the world over who has the last surname ( which is unusual ) is related in some way or another.

…Your job?
I'm a pre-purchase inspector, basically when you purchase a house I inspect it first and look for any problems building or maintenance wise that the property needs. Before that I was a licensed Investigator specializing in fraudulent workers comp claims. I ran my own business for nearly 12 years and got sick of the travel. I work locally now which is a huge bonus.

Any good stories about insurance fraudsters?...worthy of being on Today Tonight? ..

Man, have I got some stories....how about the government employee dropping his drop dead beautiful girlfriend off at work to frolic all day at Lady Jane nudist beach. I spent two months protecting parking meters from vandals near Hyde Park from 6pm to 6am. I've seen things you guys wouldn't believe.........

…Where you are now?
I live on the Central Coast in a suburb called Niagara Park, it's one of those suburbs where when you tell people where you are from they usually reply "where?" Before that I lived in Bondi for the first 24 years of my life. I've been here for 10 years which now makes me a local.

And your plans for the next 5-10yrs?
Our plans for the next 5-10 years involve my wife's business, she is a dog groomer and her work has picked up so much in the last two years that she can't sustain her work load by her self. We are currently having a look around for a shop to lease so she can open her own store within the next 12 months. I have also been writing a kids book for ages and it finally looks like it may be finished. I wrote two other books but thus far they have been rejected by every major publishing house in Australia.

So the kids books are they novels? story books, based on your experiences?
Well the first two that I did, and if I'm brutally honest were pretty crap. I've written and illustrated the next one in two different formats. One is a picture style book and the other is a Captain Underpants type of style. No real life experiences are put into the stories the one I'm doing now is superhero-esque.

What are currently collecting?
I collect the following lines when money is available...DCUC, JLU, some Star Wars, MOTUC and still picking up the odd ML to fill the collection (variants etc…) some pics
Here
It's currently undergoing a major overhaul during these annual holidays and new pics will be arriving as soon as I get back from holidays.

What do friends/family think of your collection?
Well I think my family (immediate) have gotten used to it. My two year old boy loves it. He has a massive box of toys for himself, that are fodder, doubles etc...Extended family are another story, we have quite a few family members stay with us from time to time and they are quite taken aback when they first see "the room"

What got you into collecting? was it recent or have you done it all your life etc?
Motu in 82. I got He-Man, Skeletor, Mer-Man and Beast Man for Christmas. Up until then I had a handful of Star Wars figures. I started again in 2001 when I saw Capt. America from ML on the shelves at Moore Park Toys R Us.

Do you collect anything else other than figures?
Comics, but only from 1970-1995. I just prefer old school types of comics were you can read the advertisements etc.. I sometimes wonder what would happen if I filled out old coupons for special offers..... Once upon a time I used to collect anything SW related and have heaps of newspaper clippings, original soundtrack odds and ends.

Got any vintage toys from your youth still?
Yep, some vintage SW and MOTU. I have a SW droid factory still in a pretty beat up old box

Here is your customs page
link
no posts since april but some quality work there....have you done anything recently?

I've done a few customs, but I've been concentrating on painting. The customs that I do do are mainly just for personal reasons. (team filling b-graders who never got any plastic representation)

How did you first get into the Ozfigures community & have you met any of the members in person?
I think I just stumbled onto the original Oz Figures site one day. I came very late to the net, I don't think we even had it connected until 2002.
I've met a few members, Fieldy, TST, Bugs, Simmo, DBF and UCK. Very nice people indeed!

Any massive wants out there? (regardless of price) that you'd like (movie props/comics etc)
I really wanted to start collecting Hellboy stuff, because I was a huge fan of the comics when they first came out. I look at DBF's Hellboy collection and just weep. I saw the author Mathew Reilly driving around Nth Sydney driving in a Deloreon one day, if I had the money I'd get one. It would probably stand out on the Central Coast though.

What other websites should we know about or you regularly visit/contribute to?
I visit thefwoosh, he-man.org, DCUC info, AFI, actionfigureblues (another aussie toy forum), thedoosh, toynewsi, imdb, wiki and boxoffice mojo

What angers you?
Inconsiderate people, whether it be a little wave in the car when you've let someone merge into your traffic lane or a simple, please thank you etc. I don't know that's probably old school stuff, but I used to stay with my two great grandmothers on a regular basis. No manners equalled pepper in the mouth or wooden spoon time!

What makes you happy?
Being a Dad, I didn't think I'd be any good at it. I get compliments about my kids from time to time that just make me so proud, I have found myself crying true tears of joy at some of the things they get up to.

do you have a favourite quote/catch phase?
I drive my family mad with catchphrases, my new favourite thing to do to the kids is that whistle click thing that Mr. Fox does. When the kids fall over, I always say to them "it only hurts till the pain goes" which makes them smile.

Any last words?
Only keep up the good work, I love the sense of community this site encourages.

Thanks again, next hopefully willing contender will get a PM soon.

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:29 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next