Member Interviews -New 26/3 OCTANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Page 4

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Member Interviews -New 26/3 OCTANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Page 4

Post by The Dr Of Style on Wed May 20, 2009 10:08 am

Hey all finally it's up, our first of our member get to know you interviews.......delays were %100 my fault but here we go..... Many thanks firstly to our first interview candidate Fuzzcat. He's gone to great lengths to give quality answers to my made up on-on-the-run Journalism 101 type questions. So please have a read, add to the discussion at the end and lets keep this thing going.

So can you give us a rundown of:
Who you are - name/age/relationship status/who's in your family
What stage you are at in life - where you live/work/career/plans for next 5 yrs

Name: Brett William Russell Franks

Family set-up: Second youngest of 4 (it goes brother, 34; sister, 33, me and then sister, 27), parents married for 38 (I think) years, my brother has 2 kids (girl, 7 and boy, 5), big sis is pregnant with her first. All siblings married.

Renting a house at Strathpine, Qld (just north of Brisbane), live with a lesbian nurse who is moving out in just over 2 months when she goes to Europe.

In my final year of my second degree - almost a high school science teacher. First degree in forensics, hated it. Work at Borders Chermside, where I'm the part time Customer Service Manager.

-Is she a friend or room mate?
She's a friend - we met through mutual friends of mine and my older sister.

We've seen some of your collection here http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com/shelf-life-f8/some-of-the-collection-t929.htm is your collection out in a public area?.....what sort of responses does it get? - from room mate/friends/family?

The MOTU stuff is in my bedroom, the Simpsons/Futurama and Muppets are in the living room, all the other stuff is in my study. Most people have known for years that I am a collector, they have been really anxious to see it all displayed. Those that don't know about my hobby, they think those two cases are particularly cool.

What lines do you collect that we can't see there?
I collect heaps of lines - SW, 6" Marvel and DC figures (both DCUC and DC Direct), Stargate, Star Trek, most movie lines (pretty much everything by Neca), I've started getting into Transformers.... I have a book of stuff I have yet to get, it's quite thick ha ha ha. As more is displayed, more photos will be coming. I may sit down and type the planned number of Ikea detolf cases and what will be in each one, just to give you a scope on how big the collection is....

About Borders......do they ever sell any of those comics at $12 an issue?
Without giving too much away, yes we do sell those comics

Do you read? what sort of stuff/authors?
I'm an avid reader. I collect many monthly titles from DC, Marvel, Dynamite (I am obsessed with Alex Ross' Project: Superpowers stuff), I dabble with Image and Dark Horse from time to time. Novel wise, Stephen King, Feist, Eddings, Robert Jordan, Gregory Maguire, John Connolly are all must gets for me, whenever something new comes out. I read a lot of biographies (The Costello Memoirs was actually quite interesting), and am in a book club at work so I force myself to read a heap of stuff I wouldn't normally read (The Slap was utter shit, Mr Toppit was quite good, favourite in 7 months has been A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy O'Toole). Working in the book store, I know a bit about everything we have instock, so I can answer pretty much any question.

When it comes to collections there's often talk about your number 1.......what toy/franchise got you in? which figure started it off?
1 - As a child (growing up in the 80s), my brother and I had MOTU toys – figures, vehicles and castles. My sisters had POP and Golden Girls (not Bea Arthur figures, the ones with names like Jade and Onyx – they were cool!), and we used to steal them often for our epic ‘battles’. I remember getting Real Ghostbusters toys for Christmas in 1987 – the four humans and the small Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. Somehow I got into GI Joes and got quite a few of them by the age of ten, and then TMNT was the big thing (I would dearly love to try to get a lot of those original figures again, especially the giant Krang’s Android Body I had – that thing was cool). I also grew fascinated with Batman after the 1989 movie, and had most of the first 3 series of the Batman: TAS figures.
We left the Sunshine Coast at the end of 1993 and moved to Burpengary (near Caboolture) – before leaving I’d kind of decided that I was ‘too cool’ for toys and sold them all (a mix of MOTU, TMNT, Ghostbusters, GI Joe and random SW that survived me and my brother) to the neighbours for $50 (it also didn’t help that my parents had gradually been weaning me off toys). So I went no-toys for a year.

2 things happened in 1995 – I got a part-time job (I was 15) at Woolworths to pay for a school trip to Sydney, and so had my own money to spend on whatever I wanted. The other thing was I got my braces off, but before I did, I had to find refuge in a newsagency at Mooloolaba during a thunderstorm after one of my final check-ups. Toi pass the time I had a quick look at the comic books, and was mesmerized by X-Men: Alpha, that start of the AOA storyline. I was familiar with the X-Men from the 90s cartoon, but this flipped it all on its head, and ignited my curiousity to find out more. So, I started to collect comic books – it started as the 2 core X-Men titles, then after Onslaught it became the 4 Heroes Reborn titles as well, which I continued after Heroes Return. Basically it snow-balled after each ‘event’, I would invariably pick up any new series spinning out of it plus any issues that tied into it (which often led me to then find back issues to fill in all THAT story too). Let’s just say this – from the July solicitations for 2009, there are 93 titles from 5 publishers I will eventually get.
Back to action figures – I got right into the Toy Biz Marvel figures, and the new SW offerings from Hasbro/Kenner. When Batman: Legends of Batman, and Batman: Total Justice started up, I grabbed those too (the only rule I have in collecting is that I only have one version of each character – so I only ever had one Batman, one Joker, one Spider-Man etc – if a better version was released, I would upgrade and the old one would invariably go to eBay (once that started up), to the Fan Attic (a small collectibles shop that is now closed in Brisbane) or to St Vinnies). So Toy Biz Marvel became Marvel Legends and I graduated to DC Direct as they started to get more mainstream. McFarlane’s first wave of Movie Maniacs got me into movie-themed lines, which then led to Toy Biz LOTR, pretty much anything by NECA and a lot of other movie lines. As for TV, I never planned on getting all the Simpson figures – I was given Mr Burns as a present, and he stood on my desk. The I grabbed Krusty one day, and Lisa because she was the short packed figure. Then I kinda decided to get them all, haha.
So to answer your original question – there have been 2 firsts. The first first was when I was 4 in Lithgow and Mum bought me Mekaneck from the original MOTU line. The second one was me buying The Thing from Toy Biz’s Fantastic Four line.

Myself I look at figures as extensions of a franchise that I love.....from - comics/videogames/movies etc. is this how you look at it or are you a toy collector first?

Good question – I really, really dig my comics each month (you wouldn’t believe how badly I’m looking forward to Blackest Night), but it was toys for me from a young age. These days, when considering if I wanted to commit to a new line, invariably it would be a movie or TV related line and it would depend on how much I liked the show/film, and how good the likeness of the figures was. So that is why I am definitely not getting any Terminator: Salvation figures (they are horrid), am umming and aahing about the new Star Trek ones (maybe when they do the core crew all in Starfleet uniforms, not the cadet ones, and only then if I find figures with good paint jobs), and will admit that I will get the Twilight figures, because of the outstanding work NECA does.

Ever tried customising?....thoughts?
I have only attempted customising once - I made a Black Panther from a black-suited Spiderman (TB Spidey: The Animated series), Batman head (Azrael bats from Batman: Legends of Batman) and a Grey Gargoyle cape (from TB Iron Man series). It looked terrible. I have the artistic ability of a bucket of fish guts, and while I flirted with the odea of customising some JLU at one stage, I'm happy to wait for the characters to eityher get made, or if I want them badly enough, I'd commission them from someone. I'm more a writer than an artist.....

I googled Fuzzcat...........i got a flikr site of this guy.........http://farm1.static.flickr.com/211/496248525_56a8260ecc_m.jpg also known as fuzzcat.....firstly do you think you could beat him in a fight for the rights to the name?.....where does the name come from?

Yes I could take that guy - i'm 6'2, 85 kg, swimmer's build - he would die. The name Fuzzcat - long story this. My first job was at Woolworths as a fruit and veg grunt (I would stay there for eleven years - once you hit 7 you start to smell long service, so you soldier on - and would be a department manager by the time i left). I made friends with a chap named Ray Chitty, who i went on to be best man for at his wedding (I also introduced him to his wife). To pass the time we would create this ridiculous scenarios that we would play out - one involved me pretending to be an old Bristish man named Charles, and he would be a Venezuelan mail-order bride named Margarita. (the voice for Charles came from us trying to mimic Mr Drummond from Different Strokes). Anyway, my nickname became Charles, which became Charlie McFarley, which became Chuzza Mcfuzza, which became Fuzz (also doesn't hurt I'm quite hairy on the chest, well compared to the boys I worked with anyway) and finally Fuzzcat. Ray's kids call me Uncle Fuzz.

.........and more importantly....what other websites do you frequent/contribute to regularly?
I don't contribute to any other websites in a 'same as I do on Oz Figurama' sense. My homepage is Newsarama.com, I spend a lot of time on various toy websites (TNI, AF Times, AF Insider) and eBay. Other than that, pretyy much only ever on Facebook or Hotmail, or uni sites.

"I'm more a writer than an artist....." cool please expand......what sort of stuff? I recon I've only ever written 2 good original stories (not counting my yr 10 effort for an exam where I wrote about a police officer who's family is gunned down so he fakes his own death then hunt's down & "punishes" them outside of the law (Simmo will back me up) have you ever submitted to a comp/been published or anything?

- Me and a guy i became friends with in the first year of my first degree (1998) started writing a comic. He was a brilliant artist who i saw sketching Spider-Man one day, buit he was also a devout christian. I was raised in a moderately strict Anglican household, so I knew my way around the bible, and we devised this sprawling super-hero epic that isn't a preachy, bible based story, but rather draws on events presented through the books. After we finished uni, he joined the army and went to Townsville, with all the sketches, and I kept the notes - we'd planned the first 2 arcs (about 10 issues). In the 11 years since, I've pulled it all out every few months, read what has been done, scrapped half of it and then added and added and added..... Basically it's finished, I know how it ends now, I couldn't begin to guess how many issues it would cover but i'd estimate somehwre between 100 and 120 issues - not to mention mini's, spin-offs and one-shots. It might surface one day, it might not - you never know. And I've also planned the two issues (one each comnpany) how it might be integrated into the DC or Marvel universes.....

And a few quickies to finish off

Any individual toys/collectables you would love to have but can't find/afford?
- My holiest of holy grails is the JLU Hal Jordan that Mattel did a few years ago, I'm also keen to get my hands on a Nemesis wave from ML, and I would love to get every single MOTU figure from the original series, all mint - pipe-dreams I know....

What about ideas for a dream line you would love to get made? - What hasn't been done that you want?
- As for what I'd love to see made, another excellent question. I tend more towards gap-fillers in lines than new series. For instance, I'd love to see Neca make Governor Swann, Joshamee Gibbs and Mr Cotton from POTC. And to see ML and DCUC (or DC Direct) make pretty much the entire respective universes (I can't be the only person alive who wants every character to ever be a Thunderbolt, can I?). If I had to say one line I'd like to see as a brand newie, it would be a 'Films of Stephen King' wave from Neca - Jack Torrance from 'The Shining', Annie Wilkes from 'Misery', Victor Pacoe from 'Pet Sematary' and Cujo.

What's over-rated?
- Over-rated? 'Final Crisis' was the last over-rated thing I did battle with. James Patterson books, they are severely over-rated too. And fruit cake - nothing special there.

Daylight savings? yay or nay
- Makes no difference to me personally, but from a business point of view, consistency is important, so if all other states are yay - then I'm yay.

Beer/Spirits/Wine?
All of the above - only excpetions are rum, tequila and wines that aren't sweet.

Favourite food?
- Fave food is italian, but the best food i've ever had was in Paris.

Favourite CD?
- My favourite rock/pop cd is 'Queens Greatest Hits volume 1'; my fave soundtrack cd (I also collect them, have over 360 in the collection) is my limited edition 'Hocus Pocus' score by John Debney - very rare and very expensive.
-
Got any heroes?
- Not really into the heroes thing - but I do admire nice guys who get there in the end - most recent one was Bob who won the lates 'Biggest Loser' - salt of the earth fella who just got there.

What place in the world do you most want to visit?
- Place I most want to go back to is Scotland, place I want to get to I have never been to - tie between Prague and Morocco.

Who would you like to hear from next?
Next up - either DBF, Good Doc, or your good self! Pleasure to do this mate, been good fun.
Brett

Last edited by The Dr Of Style on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:39 am; edited 4 times in total

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Member Interviews -New 26/3 OCTANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Page 4

Post by TheSweetestThing on Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 am

This is awesome...looking forward to reading everyone's in turn, and of course getting my own go Razz

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Wed May 20, 2009 11:01 am

Yeah top idea, excellent reading, and good i know a bit more about one of our core members!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Wed May 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Very cool interview, this is going to be fun.

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Wed May 20, 2009 1:27 pm

Very cool idea, and in interesting read. Thumbs up.

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by the dirty digger on Wed May 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Lesbian nurse???

the dirty digger
Saving the world...one MILF at a time

Number of posts : 353
Trading Status : 1
Registration date : 2009-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Wed May 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Great idea and a terrific read! Bring on interview #2!

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemish on Wed May 20, 2009 5:36 pm

the dirty digger wrote:Lesbian nurse???

Yeah what he said

Hemish
Likes a good dead camel pillow

Number of posts : 902
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile http://www.katoots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Octane on Wed May 20, 2009 6:49 pm

This was a really good idea. Good Stuff.

Octane

Number of posts : 232
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuzzcat on Wed May 20, 2009 7:10 pm

Hemish wrote:
the dirty digger wrote:Lesbian nurse???

Yeah what he said

Yeah - what can I say? Love her to bits though - she's been a good, true friend for a few years now (even though we are in direct competition at times!)

fuzzcat

Number of posts : 603
Trading Status : 36
Registration date : 2008-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Thu May 21, 2009 4:12 am

Forget the nurse I can't believe your stance on fruit cake.....I should have edited that part Smile

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:18 am

New interview up and running stay tuned peoples......

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by Octane on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:27 pm

Can't wait...

Octane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:54 am

wow....40 odd days since I started interview 2......should be done in the next few days....and as before all delays are from my end..... it's a good one tho....stay tuned

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by Rat Fink on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:49 am

That was excellent.

Nice work, both of you

Rat Fink

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-06-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:03 pm

OK ROUND 2 - TheGoodDr

So can you give us a rundown of the basics
Family?
Work ?
Life?

OK, here we go!
I’m eldest of 4 children, and turn 38 later this year. I have two sisters and a brother (who is the youngest). There’s 7 years in between me and my brother. My father migrated to Australia from Italy when he was about 6 years old, a few years after WWII. My mother is Australian. My family tree on my mother’s side goes right back to Convict Number 2 that was brought to Western Australia from the UK. He received a pardon for saving the life of a prison security guard during an attempted prison break. His surname was Branson……..and my grandfather is convinced that we’re related to Richard Branson as a consequence!

I completed year 12 back in 1988 and commenced work as a radiator fitter the following year. I wanted to become a motor mechanic and due to my age (17 going on 18) at the time, getting an apprenticeship was pretty much impossible. After fitting radiators for about a year I managed to get myself a traineeship within the state public service……and I’ve been there ever since. I’ve worked in the same building for over 18 years now. I’ve done quite well for myself in the public service over that time, managing to jag a promotion on average every three years or so. I don’t have any great career aspirations as such……and don’t particularly enjoy what I do there, but it pays well and as I always tell people, I’d have to work a lot damn harder to earn what I earn if I was to work in the private sector.

I’ve been married for seven years now and have a one year old daughter. My daughter Viola is without a doubt the love of my life. I just adore her so much. My wife and I are very fortunate in that she’s a wonderfully happy baby that has truly been a breeze to raise so far.

What you're currently collecting?
In terms of what I collect at the moment……I’m right into Classic Star Wars Lego. I have a few Dioramas set up here in my office. Man, do those mini figures cost a bomb!
I’m collecting the Hot Toys Iron Man figures…..actually I collect pretty much anything Iron Man.

- any reasons why the Iron man character is your thing at the moment? - the ordinary guy/playboy/the technology?

Why Iron Man? Why NOT Iron Man? Wink For years I wanted to get into comics. I used to read Kiss Psycho Circus (being the Kiss fan that I am), then when that book finished (after something like 36issues) Angel Medina moved onto Spawn. I followed I started reading Spawn (from issue 100….gave up at issue 160). Angel Medina then moved to Marvel and started drawing The Sensational Spider-man…..I followed and started reading my first Marvel Comic. Once in the Marvel Universe I wanted to expand my reading habit and having been told how cool Tony Stark was over the years and upon the recommendation of forum member Scates, I picked up the new Invincible Iron Man which was being drawn by Adi Granov at the time. The Extremis story arc is such an awesome story line, that I’ve been hooked on anything Iron Man ever since. And the fact that he’s a playboy, well, say no more!

I collect the odd Takara Transformer re-issue and that’s about it to be honest. I’ve scaled my toy collecting right back…….mostly because I just don’t feel any of the toy companies out there are producing quality product that I really want to keep and open up to display.

- Where do you think they are going wrong?....

Hmmmm, for starters, the whole rescaling of figures to 3&¾” scale. We’re seeing Marvel Universe, Star Trek, and the recent Terminator Salvation in this scale. There’s just so little value for money in toys this size.

And almost everything these days in licensed. There’s little to no originality in a toy line. What we’re seeing even now is the movement of licenses from one company to another. Seriously, how many toy companies have had the licences to A Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th?

McFarlane stopped being interesting for me when they stopped making articulated figures. NECA manage to pull a few surprises every now and then, but apart from their Bubba Ho-Tep figures that came out a couple of years ago (excellent film) I haven’t adding anything else from them to my collection except the TMNT figures.

The only toy line that I’m totally gaga for at the moment in the MOTU Classics line. These figures are just beautiful.

I’m into the Iron Giant (simply put, just a wonderful film)……so have a few boxed toys that were manufactured by Trendmasters all those years ago.

- What other interests do you have?

I’m a HUGE Kiss fan. I have toys, comics, cds, dvds, autographs, posters, photos with various band members. I’m a total Kiss groupie!

I’m also a Home Theatre enthusiast. I love watching film. I HATE the Star Wars Special Editions! For me, watching a film is also about looking back into time and seeing what influences in the world went into that particular film when it was made. When I watch a film made in 1972 I want to see a film made in 1972. Not some thing that has been butchered and sanitised for a modern audience. If you want to do that, then remake the film. Being the Star Wars fan that I am, the only way I watch the original trilogy now is via trusty laserdisc! God knows what I’ll do when my laserdisc player stops working! Very Happy

- I still haven't seen the reworked starwars films....sort of don't want to for similar reasons to yours....-what did you think of the 3 new ones? I liked how vader was shaped and the underlying storyline but the films are too much like a spy kids movie rather than fitting in with the original 3 style wise....silly robot factory stuff etc......where starwars was marketing genius coming from a film these seemed marketing driven films.......
The prequel trilogy, hands down, was a tremendous disappointment for me. I would rather have never known how Anakin Skywalker become Darth Vader than to have it told in the way it was. Episode I is a throw away film. There’s nothing in that film that has any importance to the character of Anakin what-so-ever. They made Anakin far too young. He should have been closer to Luke’s age (in A New Hope). The gap between Episode I and II is too great for Episode I to remain relevant to the story arc.

Episode II is just a bore! It is a terrible, terrible film. The 3PO comic relief once he lands on Geonosis is excruciatingly painful to watch. Jango Fett is a poor clone of the extremely cool Boba Fett in ESB. The developing romance between Anakin and Padme……..awful, awful, awful.

Episode III I can sit through, but again there are some crazy continuity issues…….like why does Leia have a memory of her mother (who dies when she was very young) when we now know she dies at child birth. Why does Anakin need the Darth Vader suit if he can quite clearly breathe without it (as he does on Mustafar and on the operating table)?

What sort of films do you watch? are you open to anything/styles/genres?
As for what types of films I watch…..that’s easy, GOOD films! I don’t have a favourite genre as such……the film just has to be good. Wall-E was one of the better films I’ve seen in a long time. I enjoyed The Dark Knight and Iron Man. Fight Club and Heat remain two of my all time favourites. Shakespeare in Love I adore. The Life Aquatic and Sideways crack me up. The Empire Strikes Back I think is the perfect film.

So figuresdirect....what are it's origins? were you trying to source toys you couldn't get over here or a business opportunist?

Figures Direct was really born out of my own desire to collect one of every Star Wars figure Hasbro was making back in ‘95/96. I noticed early on that the release of figures here was many months after the US release. Then Hasbro produced the Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise figure that was only available via redemption from a breakfast cereal in the US. It was because of Han that I started to buy Star Wars figures from the US. After a couple of months I thought to myself “I mustn’t be the only one who does this” and so I decided to buy multiples of figures (three of each character). I would advertise them for sale in the Sunday Times Reader’s Mart and well, from there the ball got rolling!
these are couple of questions are from previous interview subject, Fuzzcat

Has Figures Direct has grown as you thought it would?

Figures Direct has been online for just over ten years now. Back when I started I had dreams of giving up my full time job to sell toys full time. Australia is a small country (population wise) and being here in Perth also limits my exposure (I don’t do any advertising). But in saying that, I couldn’t be happier about where I am at the moment in terms of how successful my business has become. It keeps me busy but doesn’t dominate my spare time. I get the chance to meet like minded people and over the years some have become some of my best of friends.

And as a business, what line of action figures he wishes he stocked,
Line of toys I wished I stock? Star Wars Lego from the get-go. Very popular line……Lego’s Number 1 licensed product here in Australia.
Fellowship of the Ring action figures. I missed the boat with this film’s action figure line in a big way. Having never read the book and at the time ToyBiz weren’t renowned for putting out nice looking toys, I stayed right away Crying or Very sad Same for Marvel Legends Series 1. I just never guessed the line would explode like it did.

-do you find your figuresdirect sales follow your likes?

Most definitely. What I range through my store is pretty much stuff that I like. Reason for this is that if it doesn’t sell, it’ll end up in my own collection…..Also, I take pride in knowing a toy line. One reason why I don’t sell Wrestling figures for instance is that I have no idea who any Wrestlers are. I also have no interest in the sport Wink

Customisers are always making what hasn't been/thinking up new lines.... ever tried customising?.....thoughts?
I’ve only ever customised ONE toy in my life. I took a Snowtrooper microbust, cut a Snowtrooper figure in half, glued the two pieces together and presto! My one and only custom. Essentially I don’t have the heart to destroy a toy. Seriously, I just can’t bring myself to taking a knife to an action figure (knowing that I’ll most likely stuff up any sort of custom I was attempting to make anyways). I’m totally envious of those who do create their own toys. There are a couple of really talented guys in out little forum that produce stuff that just blows me away.

And if you were given a toy line to release what do you think needs to be made/remade/done properly?
If I could produce an action figure? Well, a Tyler Durden is a no-brainer! If I could produce a toy line? I wish Hasbro decided against the 3&¾” Star Wars figures around the time of Episode I and went 6”. Can you imagine it? 6” Star Wars figures with articulation coming out of the wazoo!

- With your stuff displayed @ work/home what sort of reactions do you get?
Yeah, people who come around to my place (tradesmen, customers) are generally taken aback by what I have displayed here in my office. One wall is covered in Marvel Legends (all variants). I have a couple of book shelves stacked with toys. Honestly though, what I have in terms of a display isn’t anything compared to some of the wonderful collections of some of the forum members.

Where does The Good Dr name come from?
Being a KISS fan, my User Name comes from a Gene Simmons song……..Dr Love. TheGoodDr is a Dr of Love! Cool

Have you travelled much.....any favourite places? somewhere you still want to visit?
I’ve travelled to a few places over the years. In 1997 I spend just under three months travelling across the USA. My favourite city in the US would have to be San Francisco…..just a beautiful city. I’ve been to Bali, The Philippines, Singapore and Brunei. My wife is actually from Brunei……and as a consequence I go back every couple of years to see my in-laws.
The really only place I can think of right now that I’d love to visit and spend quite a bit of time in is Japan.

What other websites do you regularly visit/contribute to?
I don’t contribute to any other sites or forums. Sites I tend to visit daily include: aint-it-cool-news, Rebelscum, Kissasylum, TheDigitalBits.

If you could buy one collectable/ toy/ set/ prop etc (without worrying about the money) what would you get?
I actually have a movie prop that I bought off Fox Auctions years ago. I bought the curtain that hangs in Wolverine’s bedroom from the original X-Men film. You can actually see the prop in the film……when he’s having that nightmare, right before he stabs Rogue…….the curtain can be seen at the head of his bed.
If I could own another piece of movie magic, it would have to be a prop from one of the original Star Wars films. I piece of the Death Star would do just fine

From one Dr to another I definately agree with you on many points/Sideways/San Francisco & wanting to go to Japan, and the Wolvie curtain is pure gold......A big public thankyou for a great read from one of our long time members.....just one more thing, who would you like to hear from next?

Hmmmmmm, I’d like to hear from .......... (We'll just have to wait and see on that one...but if ya gots da pm it's probably you Very Happy )

Last edited by The Dr Of Style on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Great stuff, really loved reading this!

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:57 pm

Agreed, and the answer to how you got thegooddr as your user name, not what i expected! Wink

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:08 pm

Cool read. All the things I wanted to know about Paul but was afraid to ask. Razz

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by the dirty digger on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:35 am

Lesbian nurse???

Nah..haha..cool read. Interesting to see your perspective on certain things there Good Dr as well as on the origins and success of figuresdirect. Kudos to you. Smile

Now can someone please tell me why Jor El is eating an infant in his avatar???

the dirty digger
Saving the world...one MILF at a time

Number of posts : 353
Trading Status : 1
Registration date : 2009-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:12 am

Babies are tasty.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:31 pm

Great interview.

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemish on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Very cool stuff

Hemish
Likes a good dead camel pillow

Number of posts : 902
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile http://www.katoots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fuzzcat on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:50 pm

This is such a good idea - thanks Paul...

fuzzcat

Number of posts : 603
Trading Status : 36
Registration date : 2008-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Octane on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:16 pm

Again wonderful stuff. (When is the next one?)

Octane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:18 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top